Cinco de Mayo Recipes
Cinco de Mayo is a time for celebrating! From tacos to margaritas and everything in between, Kim Dautrich is here to share with you some of her favorite Mexican dishes that are tasty, yet healthy and perfect for a fiesta!
Don’t forget to dress the part along with it and have some fun!
Without further ado, let's jump into the recipes...
Easy Pico de Gallo
½ cup red onion, finely diced
¼ teaspoon of garlic, finely minced
1 jalapeno, seeds and ribs removed, and finely minced
2 cups of tomatoes, diced
1 whole lime, juiced
Dash of salt
⅓ cup of chopped cilantro
- First, finely chop red onion, garlic, jalapeno, and tomatoes. Make sure that the tomatoes are cored and seeds are removed. By doing this to the tomatoes it will eliminate the Pico de Gallo from becoming too watery.
- Once all ingredients are chopped up finely, place them in a medium size mixing bowl. Add the lime juice, salt to your preference, and top with cilantro.
- Mix well, cover, and refrigerate until ready to use.
*This recipe makes 4-6 servings
Flavors tend to develop more as the Pico de Gallo sits in the fridge, but it still tastes really good when eaten right away! This easy Pico de Gallo perfectly pairs well with taco bowls, eggs, any kind of keto-friendly chip, or chopped veggies!
Cherry Lime Margarita
- 1 scoop of American Made Nutrition Amino + Cherry Lime
- 10 oz water
- 4 tbsp lime juice
- 2 shots of tequila
- 1 ½ shots of Triple Sec
- 2 squirts of liquid monk fruit sweetener
- 1 cup of crushed Ice
- 2-3 whole ice cubes
- 2 lime wedges (freshly sliced)
- Salt for the rim (optional)
- In a shaker, mix together 10 oz water with 1 scoop of American Made Nutrition Cherry Lime Amino+
- In a cocktail shaker, add in ¼ cup of the premixed Amino+
- Add in the tequila, Triple sec, liquid sweetener, lime juice and a few whole ice cubes. Shake well with the ice cubes inside to chill the liquid
- Take 1 lime wedge and use is around the entire rim of the glass, then dip the rim in the salt
- Add crushed ice
- Shake again and pour into your salted rimmed glass
- Garnish with a fresh lime wedge and stemmed cherry
*This recipe makes 1 serving
- 1 cup of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup canned corn, drained
- 1 tomato, cored and diced
- 1 fresh jalapeno, seeded and diced
- ½ cup diced red onion
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 cloves of minced garlic/ or 1 tbsp ground garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- A bag of your favorite chips for dipping
- In a large bowl, mix together the beans, corn, tomato, jalapeno and cilantro
- In a small bowl, whisk together the EVOO, lime juice, garlic, salt, pepper and pour over top of the bean mixture and mix well
- Place in the refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to chill before serving
- Grab a bag of your favorite chips and enjoy!
*This recipe makes approximately 6-8 servings
Jerk Chicken Tacos with Mango & Pineapple Salsa
- ~2 cups of shredded rotisserie chicken
- ~4 tbsp dried Jerk seasoning
- 1 cup of green cabbage or red or both, thinly sliced
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- ½ cup of diced pineapple
- ½ cup diced mango
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp of fresh cilantro
- 4 oz of queso fresco or cotija cheese
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste as your preference
- Small Street Taco tortilla shells
- First, thinly slice the cabbage, place in a bowl and dress with the 2 tbsp of EVOO and 2 tbsp of white wine vinegar. Next, season with salt and pepper as you wish and then, place into the refrigerator
- Combine the ½ cup of pineapple, mango and ¼ cup of red onion in a bowl. Dress with the 2 tbsp of lime juice and salt and pepper as you wish and also place in the refrigerator
- Take a large skillet and heat the additional 2 tbsp of EVOO and add in the shredded rotisserie chicken
- Coat the chicken with the dried Jerk seasoning, and allow it to fry and brown slightly
- Remove the chicken from heat and place in a bowl
- Heat a clean skillet over medium to high heat with just enough EVOO to cover the pan
- Next, lay your street taco shells down on the pan. Do not allow them to burn but keep them on long enough for small roasted mark and then flip and do the same on the other side
- Remove taco shells from heat, and you may begin to build your taco
- Layer your chicken down first, then add your cabbage mixture, and finally your salsa
- Sprinkle approximately 1-2 tbsp of queso fresco cheese or cotija cheese, a squeeze of lime and sprinkle of cilantro to complete your taco!
*This recipe makes approximately 6 street tacos
Note: to make this a carb friendly meal and/or Keto, you can simply remove the tortilla shells and make a taco bowl instead. Substitute the Pineapple/Mango Salsa with a homemade Pico de gallo and/or some freshly sliced avocado!